HISTORY OF WAKEFIELD LODGE

The lodge is named after Viscount Charles Cheers Wakefield, the founder of Castrol Oil.

He was born in Liverpool in 1859, and through his business connections became Lord Mayor of London during the Great war, having been knighted in the early part of the 20th century, he was raised to Viscount Charles Wakefield in 1934, an died in 1941.

He was a generous philanthropist and benefactor to the City of London, and the town of Hythe, for which he was made a Freemman of both the City of London and the “hamlet of Hythe”.

He became a Free Mason in 1886 when he joined Royal Victoria Lodge, 1013, in his home town of Liverpool. He resigned when he moved to London where he joined two lodges, and became a founder member of five. He was also a founder member of a lodge in Westcliff-on-sea in Essex.

On his death on January 15th, 1941 (aged 82 years) he was still a member of the five lodges of which he had been a founding member.

He became Junior Grand Warden during The great War.

In 1945, it was the policy of the United Grand Lodge of England not to permit the naming of lodges after individuals, however, one of the Founder Members of the Wakefield of Hythe Lodge reasoned that Charles Cheers Wakefield had gained such high eminence, that he deserved the acalade of having the lodge named after him.

He is burried in Horn Street cemetery where his wife was also laid to rest in 1950.

The Warrant of the Wakefield of Hythe Lodge, from the United Grand Lodge of England, was granted on 19th February, 1945, and the Lodge consecrated on 14th May of the same year.

in 2015, we will be celebrating our 70th anniversary.

The founding members were from another thriving Hythe Lodge, Prince Edwin Lodge, 125, and serving RAF personnel who had been in service in the several WW II fighter airfields in the south Kent area.

This was fitting as Viscount Wakefield was also a fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society.

Inevitably, as the local fighter airfields closed, the Lodge became more representative of gentleman of Hythe.

Initially meetings were held in various hostelries in the centre of Hythe, later moving to the Oddfellows’ hall at the eastern end of the High Street, and moved to its now permanent location in Windmill Street in 1964.

Currently there are 48 members who meet 8 times per year for full meetings, less formal meetings, and social events.